Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I've done enough.....but I'm not finished.


I had a great week of work last week. And it almost spoiled things for me.

You see, I'd much rather have had a crappy week at work so I could justify my desire to retire from  full-time work at the end of this year-like my wife, who is doing her her victory lap after nearly 26 years at her current, and soon to be ex, job.

At the of 2014, she  gets to retire and sail into her golden years by starting her day with coffee, the paper and no time clock telling her to get in the car and hit the road, there's work to be done.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I probably need to provide a little more information here.

She gets to retire because she's earned it...in more ways than one. First off, she's turning 65 and will qualify for Medicare and Social Security, which she's paid into for over 45 years. Second, she's commuted an hour each way the past 10 years after we moved here for my job and I've never heard a peep of self pity out of her.

But most importantly, she's ready. She's leaving nothing behind on the shop floor. She's maxed out her time and talents at her company and it's time to pass the baton. Enough said.

I, on the other hand, don't turn 65 until 2017 so there's a slight problem with paying for health care if I don't have a full-time job. But even if I could find a reasonable solution to that dilemma, the stock market closed today at 2014 lows and our bronze years (forget the golden years) may turn into rust years if things continue in this direction. Every month I keep working reduces the likelihood that we don't get put out into the street until at least....uh, around 75 years of age.

So I'm working on accepting the idea that I will have 3 more years of full-time work while my lovely spouse gets to sleep in, eat bon-bons and watch soap operas. Except without a poodle on her lap since we have a beagle. 

OK, more full disclosure here. She has never been one to sit around and do nothing- job or no job. Even with her commute and full-time job, she manages to keep our house running like a top, including making home cooked meals most nights of the week, and then some. So I would expect that bon-bons and soap operas will give way to refined household management. She is also is talking about getting a part-time job doing something to keep her engaged while I trudge off to the salt mines.

Truth be told, I've done enough work for this lifetime. And I've not gotten cheated. Starting at age 16 at McDonalds, teaching music for 10 years, working as a counselor, traveling the country as a management consultant...I've had a great ride. I've done enough, but I'm not finished. Not just yet.

And I had a really good week last week. Lots of conversations with some our best, brightest young leaders. Spending 2 hours facilitating a session with our executive team. Some good hallway yaks and informal chats. Nothing negative. All positive and productive. 

I'd call it a dream week but I'm a little cynical of "dream" statements. "Dream house!" "Dream vacation!" "Dream job!"  That sounds  game-showy to me. "What's behind door #3, Bob?" "A work week of your dreams!"

But I'd take "Excellent week!" Useful week!" "Fun week!" And I did.

So where does that leave me? For starters, I'm going to applaud and celebrate my wife's victory lap and be as supportive as I can as she transitions to her new lifestyle.

And I'm not going to get too far ahead of myself when it comes to surveying the wreckage of my  future.

I'm going to look forward to having more good weeks,. Heck, I may even get a surprise and have a "dream week".

And I'll mutter the mantra "I've done enough, but I'm not finished" under my breath as often as I need to.

So if you will excuse me, I've got some muttering to do.









Even Grace, the beagle, is planning her retirement.

1 comment:

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Like you, I'm planning on working as long as I can to keep hold of that health insurance. (Not to mention to keep adding to my meager retirement accounts.) Plus, I thrive on work, even though I sometimes complain about it. I'm blessed with work I enjoy. When I'm off work for too long, I find myself stagnating. A friend just became a literacy volunteer and that's looking like something that might keep me active once I do hit that retirement age. In one way or another, I hope to remain a teacher until I'm dead!