Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Thanksgiving Day Voices Circa 1965

Have you ever wondered what it would sound like to experience Thanksgiving Day in a family of 8 children back around 1965, in Des Moines Iowa? Here is my attempt to replay the sounds of the day as I remember it. Some of the voices are me. Most are others.


I smell the turkey.
Mom, what time did you put in in?
5 am.
When will it be done?
Later, now be quiet, your father is trying to  sleep.
There's nothing on TV.
Go back to sleep or outside.
I want oatmeal.
Make it yourself.

How big is the turkey this year?
25 lbs? That's a record!
Don't open the oven, you'll let the heat out.
There he is, old Tom Turkey.
How come it's covered in tin foil?
Ooh, what's that?
The neck and the giblets.
Ick, who eats that?
It's for the gravy...and the cat.
Spare me.

When are we eating?
Later, when the turkeys done.
When is the turkey going to be done?
Later, go watch your brother.
I'm watching the parade.

 I want to watch cartoons.
They're not on, it's Thursday.
I hate parades.
You can go to your room or outside. Or I'll put you to work.
I'm going outside.
Me too. Me three.

Hey Tony, Joe. Ullman wants to meet us at McCollough's field for a touch football game. He's got plays he's drawn up.
Let's go, Joe. Me and Dan against you and Ullman.
First one to 50 wins.
Hit me, I'm open. 
He scores!!
What? The game isn't over yet.
You're a quitter.
Shut up!
Race you home.

Is it time to eat yet? I'm hungry.
Make yourself a peanut butter sandwich.
I don't want peanut butter.
Let's go to Wards and get some candy.
Wards is closed.
I'm hungry.

Shelly, get the girls and help set the table.
Mom, Katie's not helping.
Where's everyone going to sit.?
Who is sitting on the piano the piano bench?
Not me,  I sat on it last year.
Are Jane and Jerry eating in the kitchen again?
Move over, you're crowding me.
Wait till we say grace.
Quit kicking me.

Everyone be quiet, Dad's saying grace.
Quit kicking me.
If I have to take off my belt!
Don, please.
(snicker, snicker, elbow, elbow)
Knock it off!
Amen.... Amen!
Let's eat!

You older kids wait your turn.
I want white meat.
This dressing is too greasy.
Can I have a drumstick?
You don't have to eat it.
Pass the gravy.
I want some cranberry sauce. 
Who has the wishbone?
Me, me, I want it.
I made a lake out my potatoes and gravy.
Tom spilled his milk.
Jerry!!
Can I have the skin?

I'm full. Me too. Me three.
You boys help clear the table.
Why aren't the girls helping?
Can I pick the turkey?
Where does this go? There's no room in the fridge.
Joe, get in here. Mom! Joe's not helping
Hurry before the Wizard of Oz comes on.
When do we get pie?
Later. 
I want mine now.
You're not getting any if you keep it up!

Who is washing?
I'm drying.
I'm putting away.
I washed last year...Mom!
This water is so greasy.
Put-away is the easiest job.
This pan still has gunk on it.
Shut up.


Who wants pie?
Me, me, me, me too, me three.
Can I have mince meat?
You won't like it.
Can I have a half of each?
More whipped cream, please.
Save some for everyone else.
I'm stuffed.

She's creepy.
Follow the yellow brick road.
I'm scared.
It's just a movie.
I want a dog like Toto.
I heard it turns into color here.
Save my place while I go to the bathroom.
Flying monkeys!
Move over! Mom, Dan took my place.
There's room for all of you there.
Mom, he's kicking me.
Shh, Mom and Dad are sleeping.
Shhh!
Is there school tomorrow? 
No stupid, it's a holiday.
Then I'm staying up late.
Me too. 
Me three.









1 comment:

JerryK said...

You left out the part where the family cat obsessed with the smell of turkey, jumps on Dad's back as he's carving it at the head of the table, while we are all rolling, and he is saying "G-d Da-- it, get this cat off of back. Priceless.