Sunday, August 17, 2014

Bees, Butterfies and Buffets

I learned about alliteration in sophomore English class when we studied Beowulf, and I was remind of that when I was thinking about a title for this post. But this post has nothing to do with Beowulf, although it was inspired by breakfast, bees, butterflies and buffets.

As we were enjoying our Sunday morning breakfast down on he patio this morning, there was a constant flurry of activity as the bees and butterflies hopped from flower to flower, sampling a taste of what each flower had to offer, then quickly moving on the another plant. It reminded me of going the "all-you-can-eat buffet" where you inevitably eat more than you should, or in most cases, need. I wondered, as I observed these insects up close, if they ever regretted going back for those extra helpings of zinnia, or bee balm, or cosmos. 

As the summer fades slowly towards autumn, their time is running short. The days are getting shorter and it won't be long before a frost warning is issued and their buffet will close for the winter. If I were one of them, I'd be going back to the buffet as often as I could and filling up my plate.

There is such beauty in the garden and in nature. Seasons come and go, each with a beginning and an end. We anticipate their arrival and mourn their ending. And like the buffet, when the season is in its fullest glory, we want all we can eat. And we never want it to end.

Beginnings and endings, with transitions in between. Such are the seasons of our lives.






























1 comment:

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

You've provided a visual feast here, Dan, nourishing my heart as well as the insects' bellies as we say farewell to summer.