Friday, July 4, 2014

A Letter to America on the 4th of July


Dear America,

I'm almost 62 years old now and I have lived with you my entire life. Today on this Independence Day, I'd like to express my gratitude for standing beside me all these years. It wasn't  my choice to live here like those who crafted our Declaration of Independence, I just got lucky. Many who came before me and many after have paid a heavy price to keep you free and strong.

As a young boy, the 4th of July meant firecrackers, snakes and sparklers. Hamburgers on the grill, watermelon, and ice cream. A neighborhood parade. A picnic with the neighbors. The big fireworks show at dusk. Life was simple, easy and free. Our neighborhoods and schools were safe, our parents were optimistic, 3 TV channels seemed enough and everyone seemed to look out for one another.

I watched the great Interstate Highway system being built just down the street from where we lived. A man landed on the moon. The price of gas went up and down and so did the speed limit.

And at the same time, I saw a President , his brother, and a civil rights leader assassinated. We feared that the Soviets would drop a bomb on us. Vietnam divided us. We became mistrusting of our leaders and institutions. There were riots in the streets, flags were burned, families fell apart.

And yet, in spite of those ups and downs, through all the progress and change, you're still standing, still free and still a great nation.

Speaking of change, just  a few days ago, I drove across the cornfields of Iowa to the city where I was raised. A city that has changed in many ways, yet hasn't changed at all. The houses, schools, neighborhoods i grew up with are still where I left them when I made my way to independence so many years go. Oh sure, the McDonalds where I got my first job has been torn down and re-located a block east. Some of the neighborhoods look older, less maintained. Some look like they haven't aged a bit. 

There are those who say that you have changed, America. That you aren't as free as you once were. That your best days are behind you that this grand experiment will not survive. 

I'm not one of them. Not that I am naive. I'm not. I could write out a long list of problems and challenges that face us as a nation and so could you.

I believe the problems we face are solvable. That in time, we can build an even stronger nation. But to do so, we need to remind ourselves each and every day of our common humanity and our common good. And that's the hard part. We've become polarized and victims to the noise that populates the airwaves. It's simply become too easy to hear and not to think or read. To judge but not to relate. To accuse but not to listen.

 So were going through a bit of rough patch, America, I think you know that. And I can't predict how long it will take to get us back on track. Maybe not in my lifetime.

But I want you to know that I'll keep doing my part. To be a good neighbor and citizen. To vote, to participate, to lend a hand, to encourage others. And to not give in to cynicism.

I've seen the best you have to offer and at times, some of the worst, but you always find a way to pull together when it matters the most.

So if you don't have any plans for this evening, stop on by the park in west Omaha. We're having a few hundred friends over for a birthday party to honor you. There will be lots of music, marches, show tunes- a  whole bunch of Americana that may even bring a tear to your eye. 

It's a good time. And it's the best demonstration of freedom and Independence I can think of for a beautiful day like today.

Happy Birthday America. Don't forget to make a wish before you blow out the candles.

No comments: