Thursday, June 12, 2014

Christmas in June.....sort of.



This isn't so much about Christmas as it is about a gift, and not a Christmas gift, but rather a birthday gift. And the birthday isn't in June, it falls in December, on the 26th, not on Christmas Day. Confused? Then read on and allow me to explain.

When I met Georgette about 19 years ago, I struck the relationship lottery. The big prize. The one with the astronomical odds.  More than a one in a million.

My first clue was when she invited me over to her house to watch the 1996 Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 2, which featured #1 Nebraska against # 2 Florida for the National Championship( NU won 62-24). The fact that I wasn't much of a Nebraska fan even though I'd lived in the state since 1986 was not a barrier to me accepting her invitation. I was the new guy at our place of employment and she was merely being a kind and considerate co-worker. When it came up in casual conversation that I had no plans to watch "the Game" (as it is referred to here in Nebraska where football is the state's unofficial religion)  the offer was extended and something was mentioned about holiday leftovers being served (Clue # 1).

Upon arriving at her home and greeting her daughter Steph, whom I'm sure was wondering if Mom had gone off the deep end, we settled in her basement family room upon which I discovered the quality  and plentiful buffet of leftovers artfully arranged on a table. Now if you are one of those people who thinks that the words "quality" and "buffet" are mutually exclusive, think again. This was a quality buffet. Chili, shrimp, spinach dip crab dip, veggies, cookies-- what I was to discover were holiday staples at her  house. I proceeded to load up "a plate" as we refer to it and sat down to watch "the Game".

A little sidebar- the relationship I was in a year prior to this point in time was with a woman who had food issues. Sort of a half-hearted vegan-granola type who was a picky eater. I spent most of the time I was with her hungry. I don't like to be hungry. Enough said.

As I was easing myself down to to floor to begin my attack on "the plate", I spilled my chili all over the carpet. My face turned red as a beet. Her reaction to this guffaw on my part couldn't have been more gracious and genuine. "Let me get something to clean that up. That carpet needs to be cleaned anyway. Get yourself another bowl". I did. And it was delicious. (Clue # 2).

As our relationship grew and we went from being co-workers and friends to a committed couple, I learned more about her. She was low maintenance. I didn't have to read her mind. She was easy to please. And her birthday fell on December 26th.

The only thing she was really picky about was that she wanted her birthday celebrated separate from Christmas. No combo "Christmas/birthday cards". No combined gifts. No opening birthday gifts a day early. And no Christmas food passed off as birthday food. Years and years of having your birthday party compete with the afterglow of Dec. 25 will do that to a person. So it seemed reasonable and doable to me.

Until the next year when I got to select and buy both Christmas gifts and birthday gifts all at the same time. And pay for them. For a gift-challenged guy like me that was no easy task. I learned to ask for help..."can you give me a list of things you want or need? No, I'm not buying pots and pans. OK, if you really want them, I might get them, but I'm having flashbacks of my feminist mother railing abut getting measuring cups on Mother's Day".  I learned how to manage the 2 day gift bonanza. I bought her things I swore I'd never buy as gifts. Dishes. Appliances. Cookware. Kitchen gadgets. She was thrilled (Clue #3).

And so this last holiday season, 18 years later and in that stage of life where you just don't need anything anymore, we've become our grandparents. The gift giving thing, while not extinguished, is simmering at a low temperature. Nonetheless, I had to come up with something cool for her birthday.  And I did. Enter the VegTrug.

In you haven't figured it out yet, she loves to cook and to experiment and serve wonderful home cooked meals. Last summer, I planted her an herb garden down below in our patio garden. But it was a hassle to get down there, especially when you are knee deep in gurgling, bubbling pots and pans on the stove.  When I stumbled across the VegTrug in the Gardener's Supply catalog, my 2013 birthday gift dilemma was solved. 

The VegTrug arrived unassembled in a long box and I hid it in the basement. And on the evening of her birthday, after we had gone to a movie and eaten at a great Thai restaurant, I walked her downstairs and presented the gift, still in the box, with no gift wrap- a move I wouldn't have made 18 years ago. I promised to plant it with whatever she wanted for herbs. And I assembled it a couple of days later where it sat idle until mid -May.

The pictures shown here were taken several days ago. The VegTrug sits outside on our deck, a mere few yards from the epicenter of the kitchen. She mentioned that a culinary treat we had for supper a day or so ago had freshly cut herbs in it. It was like Christmas June. I thought of cousin Eddie in "Christmas Vacation" and was tempted to mutter something like "it's the gift that keeps on giving all year long, Clark" but I didn't.

Because technically, it was a birthday present. And we don't mix and match December Christmas and birthday celebrations.

Maybe I should have titled this post "Birthday in June" but that doesn't have the same ring as "Christmas in June". 

Or maybe I should have titled it "I won the relationship lottery". But that's kind of cheesy.

Speaking of cheesy, she makes a kick-ass dish called "4 cheese pasta" which I affectionately refer to as"slop". Cooked in pans purchased as birthday gifts.

What was this post supposed to be about again? Seems I lost my focus. And know I'm trailing on too long.

Gifts? Lotteries? 

Oh well, till next time.













No comments: